OPP investigating after viral video shows officer's support

If the drift of Canada towards a police state has not yet affected you directly, you would do well to recall the words of Pastor Martin Niemoller, writing in Germany before his arrest in the 1930s: "The Nazis came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I was not a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I was not a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I was not a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics and I was a Protestant, so I didn't speak up....by that time there was nobody left to speak up for anyone."

OPP investigating after viral video shows officer's support

Postby Thomas » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:21 am

OPP investigating after viral video shows officer's support for "Freedom Convoy" (VIDEO)

Ontario Provincial Police are investigating after a video of an OPP officer showing his support for “Freedom Convoy” protesters went viral.

The video shows an OPP officer who pulled over a man and woman on their way to Ottawa to support the convoy. In the video originally posted to TikTok, the officer and the people in the car discuss the protest, and the officer appears to show his support for the convoy.

The video begins with the officer joking around about TikTok dances before letting the driver off with a warning about his lights. In the video, the officer is heard telling the people in the car: “I support you guys, 100%.”

He also tells the driver and passenger that he “gets what you guys are doing.” The OPP has since tweeted that they are aware of the video and that they are investigating.

“We recognize that views expressed by the member has caused public upset,” the OPP tweeted.

They added that the OPP does not condone the “current illegal activity,” and those who break the law under the state of emergency will be held accountable.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/opp-inv ... dom-convoy
Thomas, Administrator

Thomas
Site Admin

An OPP Officer Showed Support For The Trucker Convoy Protest

Postby Thomas » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:22 am

An OPP Officer Showed Support For The Trucker Convoy Protests & Police Are Investigating

"The OPP does not condone current illegal activity."

Ontario Provincial Police are currently investigating a TikTok video of one of their officers showing support for the trucker convoy protesters.

"The OPP is aware of a Feb. 12th video, taken during a traffic stop, that has raised concerns about professionalism and depicts opinions that are not in line with the OPP’s values. We recognize that views expressed by the member has caused public upset," OPP tweeted on February 13.

The video shared to TikTok — which at the time of this article's publication has over 250,000 views — shows a uniformed officer approaching a vehicle at a traffic stop that was pulled over for its flashing lights on top of the vehicle.

"You don't have to record me, I'm not going to give you a ticket," the officer said before going into a conversation about the TikTok app.

Roughly halfway through the video, the officer tells the occupants of the vehicle that he "gets what you guys are doing."

"I support you guys 100%, alright? I have been to Ottawa, a lot of us are, I've heard nothing but great things for our protesters [...]" the officer said, before telling them to wait until they get there to continue flashing the lights up on their vehicle.

The conversation was so friendly that the protesters even invited the officer to join them. But, the policeman declined — even though he expressed he wanted to.

"The OPP does not condone current illegal activity. Under the state of emergency, those who defy the law will be held accountable. Our role is to ensure public safety and keep the peace. Officers must maintain the highest standard of conduct, integrity and ethical behaviour," OPP said in a follow-up tweet.

The provincial police added that an internal investigation has been launched and that they cannot make any other comments or speculations about it.

Ontario has been put under a state of emergency since February 11 due to the ongoing protests in Ottawa. Under the order, it is illegal to block up any major travel passages like 400-series highways and international border crossings, like the Ambassador Bridge.

Protesters could get hit with up to a year of jail time as well as a $100,000 fine, too.

During a press conference on February 14, Premier Ford made it clear that the consequences for the active protesters will continue to get worse if they don't stop what they're doing.

"If it doesn't come to an end, you're going to have serious consequences. You'll lose your licence for life, you're gonna lose your car indefinitely. We're going to throw every tool we have at you to make sure we bring stability back to our great province and our great country," Ford said.

https://www.narcity.com/toronto/an-opp- ... estigating
Thomas, Administrator

Thomas
Site Admin

UPDATE: 'Not in line with OPP values': cop's professionalism

Postby Thomas » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:25 am

UPDATE: 'Not in line with OPP values': cop's professionalism in question after video shows him saying 'he'd love to' join convoy protest

The video circulating online shows the unidentified officer conversing with protesters in a truck, saying he supports the convoy "100 per cent."

The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) has been made aware of a video circulating online that calls an officer’s professionalism into question after he's recorded expressing support for the truck convoy in Ottawa.

A video was posted to a Twitter account called the Coalition Against More Surveillance on Saturday, February 12, and it shows an OPP officer talking to convoy supporters on their way to the Ottawa protest.

“I haven’t been to Ottawa but I’ve heard nothing but great things for our protesters,” the officer said. “Wait ’til you there.”

After an invitation from the driver and the passenger of the pick-up truck to join them at the protest, the officer said “he’d love to” but had commitments at home to attend to.

“Us OPP, we’re a little bit different than municipality police, we’re not going to go start taking jerry cans.”

He also goes on to say that he supports the convoy “100 per cent.”

In a statement to CityNews, OPP said the video has raised concerns about professionalism and depicts opinions that are not in line with the OPP’s values.

“We recognize that the views expressed by the member have caused public upset,” the statement said. “The OPP’s role is to ensure public safety, enforce the law and keep the peace. While the OPP supports the right of people to conduct lawful demonstrations, it does not condone the current illegal activity or behaviour. Under the recent province-wide state of emergency, those who defy the law will be held accountable.”

The statement goes on to say that officers are expected to complete their professional obligations while maintaining the highest standard of conduct, integrity and ethical behaviour at all times.

The officer in the video has not been identified. The location of which the video was shot is also not made available, although OPP said in a tweet that the incident happened during a traffic stop.

Further to their comment, OPP tweeted the following: "For those asking, the matter has been brought to the attention of OPP Command, and the OPP Professional Standards Unit has launched an internal conduct investigation into this matter. We cannot comment or speculate on the outcome of the investigation."

https://ottawa.citynews.ca/police-beat/ ... st-5059898
Thomas, Administrator

Thomas
Site Admin

Return to Policing the Police