Ontario Provincial Police Billing Reform

Obscenely high and unsustainable policing costs. OPP bills are destroying communities its officers are supposed to protect. Apparent self-interest is cloaked in the guise of public safety needs. Where is the political outrage while OPP costs continue to climb? Who is going to bring policing costs in this province under control?

Ontario Provincial Police Billing Reform

Postby Thomas » Wed May 21, 2014 4:05 pm

To the editor,

RE: Ontario Provincial Police Billing Reform, A letter to Premier Kathleen Wynne

I write as a solicitor in Haliburton County for over 37 years and as a property owner here for that length of time, to express not only my concerns on behalf of myself, but also on behalf of my clients and the negative impact the drastic increase in costs for police services will have on the value of properties in Haliburton County, and the ability of the majority of citizens who happen to be landowners to remain as such.

I am writing because the new model which allows a drastic reduction for some areas and a drastic increase for other areas is not only inequitable but also inappropriate given the concept of equalization across the province for severely poverty-stricken areas, of which Haliburton is one.

It is my understanding that in 2015, the increases will fold out with a 36 per cent increase in taxes to property owners in Algonquin Highlands, 33 per cent in Dysart et al, 25 per cent in Highlands East and 20 per cent in Minden Hills.

Other areas of the province have a reduction in the amount they are paying for police services.

I have been a supporter of the Liberal party during all my years of voting and am afraid that this is one very bad mistake being made, which will certainly reflect in my support of the party in the future.

Please consider withdrawing this proposal and take the time to consult further with the County representatives as well as provincial representatives so that a more equitable model based upon user pay may be found that recognizes the need for all Ontarians to have proper police services but at the same point in time, recognizes the fact that certain areas of the province are drastically impoverished and cannot be left with a massive increase in the tax burden. In effect, the changes are now going to reflect a dramatic increase in taxes for one of the poorest counties in Ontario, i.e.: Haliburton County, as we have little or no source of revenue other than tax base, minimal employment which is mostly minimum wage and little or no support over the years from the province for many specialized needs.

I appreciate your consideration and remain,

Yours truly,

Raymond G. Selbie

http://www.newspapers-online.com/haliburton/?p=4802
Thomas, Administrator

Thomas
Site Admin

Return to Unsustainable Policing Costs