Disappointed to read officer engaged in distracted driving

News reports and online publications exclusively in reference to the Ontario Provincial Police.

Disappointed to read officer engaged in distracted driving

Postby Thomas » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:31 am

Columns and letters in our local paper about distracted driving seem commonplace these days.

The number of drivers with their faces pasted to their phones on my own quiet street is astonishing.

But to read about blatant disregard for the law and the safety of others by a member of the OPP is far worse.

“Sgt. Schmidt recommended motorists make a similar contract with their children that he made with his daughter. ‘When I get on the phone, my daughter calls me out and tells me, ‘That’s distracted driving , daddy,’ he said. ‘I always put the phone down. If it’s important enough, I pull over to where it’s safe before sending the message.’”

“When I get on the phone…”????

In the car? While he’s driving? With his 6-year-old daughter, hopefully in a car seat !?

I couldn’t believe what I was reading: a sergeant of the OPP admitting, in an article about distracted driving, that he picks up his phone, eyes off the road, operating a vehicle, breaking the law.

I begin to have little faith in our society when a member of our police force has less sense than a six-year-old.

http://www.yorkregion.com/opinion-story ... d-driving/
Thomas, Administrator

Thomas
Site Admin

Re: Disappointed to read officer engaged in distracted drivi

Postby Gkuke » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:53 pm

Police should not be able to access their cell phones while on duty!!

Police officers including officers from the Peterborough OPP are in the habit of using their cell phones instead of their radios.

This act of communications between officers taking place on cell phones is done intentionally so an accused person will not have access to full disclosure of police conduct. This is an intentional violation of the public's Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

If you are aware of an officer using a cell phone while investigating, it should be brought up in court when the officers conduct is in question.

Gkuke

Return to News