Black Halifax Regional Police Officers File Human Rights Com

News and stories about instances of police misconduct and other police-related material.

Black Halifax Regional Police Officers File Human Rights Com

Postby Thomas » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:49 am

BLACK HALIFAX REGIONAL POLICE OFFICERS AND FORMER OFFICER FILE HUMAN RIGHTS COMPLAINT BASED ON RACE

The nature of Sgt. R. Atwell's Retaliation Complaint At Issue :
Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms - Section 2
Section 2. http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/Cons ... l#libertes

Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
(a) freedom of conscience and religion;
(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
(d) freedom of association.
Press Release - Third black officer files human rights complaint against Halifax Police

The nature of the Atwell complaint is as follows: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/co ... l#libertes

1. On June 24, 2008, I filed a human rights complaint of discrimination on the basis of race and/or colour and/or gender against Halifax Regional Municipality and/or Halifax Regional Police and/or Sgt. …. and/or S/Sgt. ….

2. On February 6th, 2009, I was summoned to an unscheduled meeting with Supt. …. and …., Halifax Regional Municipality’s Human Resource person attached to the Halifax Regional Police Services. At that unscheduled meeting Supt. ….. and attempted to get me to accept an unsigned letter dated that date (see Attached letter dated February 6th, 2009 which I insisted be signed) which among other things stated the following:
Your decision to pursue your position in the print and electronic media is of concern to HRP as your employer.
Right of freedom of speech are not absolute and have to be balanced by other competing interests including your basic responsibilities as an employee
These responsibilities include due regard for your obligation of loyalty as a member of our organization.
And being sensitive to the way, and where you express any criticisms you may have of your employer or your co-workers
You need to appreciate that an unintended consequence of such activity may be to impair your personal ability to perform your job, undermine the ability of other members of HRP to do their job, and compromise the reputation and effectiveness of the overall police force, of which you are a member.
HRP reminds you to be mindful that careless statements in the media, however unintended, could seriously impair the rights of everyone involved.
This concern is the very underpinning of the HRP Media Policy

3. I allege that the above statements are retaliatory and contain a threat (explicit or implied) of retribution (job loss or implications) regardless of Supt. …. and …. statement that “I hope that you will consider the above comments in the constructive, non-disciplinary context in which they are intended.”

4. Additionally, the pretextual excuse that my personal right to freedom of expression in discussing my experiences of discrimination (systemic and otherwise) within the HRP and HRM is curtailed by a general Media Policy is a thinly disguised retaliatory action and a blatant violation of s. 11 of the Nova Scotia Human Rights Act.

5. I have the right to freedom of expression in both print and electronic media and I acted in accordance with HRP Media Policy as evidenced by two pieces of correspondence (see Attached email dated 22/12/2008) from Theresa Rath, Public Affairs Supervisor which invited me to contact the press and which stated the following:

· “Public Affairs today received an interview request for you from CBC Radio. I advised the reporter that I could not give out your personal information and didn’t want to bother you myself when you may be sleeping in preparation for your night shift. As such, I committed to CBC Radio to sending you an email with the particulars so that you can get in touch with them at your convenience if you wish to do so.

· CBC TV is also looking to do an interview with you. If you would like to follow-up with the reporter at your convenience, her contact details are as follows:

6. I believe that the Respondent’s actions were intended to intimidate me into dropping my human rights complaint and are retaliatory for my having filed a human rights complaint and as such constitute retaliation contrary to Section 11 of the Nova Scotia Human Rights Act.

http://robynatwell.com/
Thomas, Administrator

Thomas
Site Admin

Return to Miscellaneous