What happened to me...

Police brutality is the wanton use of excessive force, usually physical, but potentially in the form of verbal attacks and psychological intimidation, by a police officer. Widespread police brutality exists in many countries, even those that prosecute it. It is one of several forms of police misconduct, which include: false arrest, intimidation, racial profiling, political repression, surveillance abuse, sexual abuse and police corruption.

What happened to me...

Postby PrvSAT-user » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:34 pm

Hello,

Here is my story in short: In June 2013, I was driving on HWY420, Niagara on the Lake area. I was driving with under 120Km/h and I was stopped by a police officer, his name M. Zwarun (not sure RCMP or OPP). As soon as I noticed the police car with lights behind me, I securely pulled over off the shoulder. This officer came to me quite upset without any possible reason and told me that he got me driving with 134Km/h. He was incredible rude for the entire encounter and he was clearly smelling of marihuana. I am an East-European in origin and never had marihuana but I do recognize it 99.9% by its characteristic smell from large distance.
I told him that I had a few questions but he kept saying "driving licence please". I could not make him say anything else. He had to say "driver licence please" for at least 4 times. After I provided the driving licence he went to his car to write the ticket. He came back and handing me the ticket he said: "Here we go, you know what to do, mail it in". I couldn't get anything from him, he was like locked with few sentences. I told him repeatedly that I have issues to clarify and he must answer to my questions. but all he said was "we are done here".

I wanted to ask him if he has a clear record of my offence since I have a DVR recorder front and back in my car. I also wanted to ask him if from those 134Km/h if he removed the reading tolerance/error of the apparatus. As it happens, many years ago I was implicated in the design and manufacturing of few portable radar models. The front camera was not functional at that time but the back was. It even shows how he entered the highway a bit wobbly following me. Based on the recorder on board, you could clearly count the white dividing lanes and accurately measure the time. I have two answers regarding the characteristics of the road, one from the company who actually does the lanes painting and one from the MTO. I also went to the exact area and laser measured the distance. Based on the numbers of lanes passed on a certain time in the area where I was clocked by this officer it results that I was driving with 118Km/h, not 134.

I am totally against to this type of behaviour from a public employee and these type of people should never be let to a decision point, nor to come in contact with citizens! Following the option to fight this ticket in court, I will have to be in Niagara on the Lake court next year in March. However, until then I wish to ask advice to take proper action against this officer. This individual could do and probably already did a lot of harm, not to mention that he represents a danger to the public by consuming marihuana. He must be stopped.
I have found the online complainant form for RCMP at: https://www.cpc-cpp.gc.ca/cnt/srv/mac/f ... e-eng.aspx but again I am not sure where this officer belongs to, RCMP or OPP. Any suggestions and help is more than welcomed.
Thank you for reading this post.

PrvSAT-user

Re: What happened to me...

Postby Thomas » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:44 am

Dear Sir,

The RCMP does not patrol Ontario highways. It must have been either the OPP or a regional police force officer. A simple web search revealed the existence of a Niagra OPP officer Michael Zwarun. Here is a number of links to the articles that have his name:

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/2008/0 ... otorcycles

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/2008/0 ... f-the-road

http://canada.landoffree.com/employee/Michael_Zwarun

http://caledoniawakeupcall.com/document ... McHale.pdf

The officer's name and badge number must be on the ticket, that is officially termed the Provincial Offence Notice.

I hope that helps.

On a personal note, thank you for posting your story. The job of the police officers to serve and protect. Unfortunately, all too often we find them do just the opposite.
Thomas, Administrator

Thomas
Site Admin

Postby PrvSAT-user » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:45 am

Thank you very much for you help indeed!

PrvSAT-user

Postby Gkuke » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:25 am

PrvSAT-user
I hope that you do everything possible to show this cop is a liar. I know for a fact that a lot of cops will lie and fabricate evidence. They are so confident that they won't be caught. They know their over paid jobs are not at risk.

Gkuke

Return to Abuse of Police Powers