Peterborough OPP at their "best"

Police brutality is the wanton use of excessive force, usually physical, but potentially in the form of verbal attacks and psychological intimidation, by a police officer. Widespread police brutality exists in many countries, even those that prosecute it. It is one of several forms of police misconduct, which include: false arrest, intimidation, racial profiling, political repression, surveillance abuse, sexual abuse and police corruption.

Peterborough OPP at their "best"

Postby Michael » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:15 am

The following was posted on February 19, 2013, by G. Keith Sinclair on Facebook:

Smith-Ennismore-Lakefield Township ( sorry now renamed Selwyn Twp ) has recently reopened the Ennismore Arena after massive renovations and improvements. It also has a new Arena Manager who I have reason to believe may not be winning much popularity with some of the arena users. There has been a Sunday night men's hockey league using the facilities for approximately 40 yrs. Most players in the League are Twp. residents, like myself there are a lot of retired Sunday Night Hockey Players who have many fond memories from playing in the League for years. Even though it doesn't fit with our Provincial Liquor Act, it has been a custom to the Players to share a beer and some conversation following their game. This has never been a secret but is quietly a known fact. I am sure this is as common an event in every hockey arena all over Canada.

I was a Police Officer for many years and played hockey for Police Teams as well as in many Police Tournaments. To say there was no beer in the dressing rooms after the games certainly would be far from the truth. I agree this may not be lawful but it is a fact and no big deal if kept to a group of players enjoying a beer after the game. It seems our new arena manager has taken a disliking to Sunday Night Hockey and wants to see the end to it. These players are mature adults, are community minded people, many who contribute a lot of time and even money to support the recent upgrades to our rink.

I find it rather disrespectful that 4 OPP Officers RAIDED the dressing rooms after the games this past Sunday night. My son was a victim of the raid. His team was sitting around after the game, some were talking, some having a shower and getting dressed. The door to the dressing room was locked when it was suddenly opened and 4 officers appeared. The officer in charge announced the intention of the Police and the belief that terrible things had been occurring there. They found no beer nor evidence of any but this Officer IC took it upon himself to lecture the persons in the room, these bad guys, professionals, hard working honest people and members of our Community. I am to believe these bad guys sat dumbfounded with their mouths open not believing what was happening to them. The community is outraged and so they should be to have these men treated in such a way. Could not one officer have handled this situation, or better yet a letter from Council or the OPP to address their concerns to the League. I also am of the OPINION the OPP should have obtained a search warrant before they pulled their raid. The Sunday Night Hockey League rent the facilities, have a key provided to their dressing rooms for security and privacy, are in lawful possession of the dressing room. I feel the OPP should not have unlocked the door and entered and searched without a warrant to do so, then to take control of the shocked occupants and lecture and intimidate them. What would the Police have done if someone stood up and walked out past the two officers blocking the door.

I say ;"SHAME" on the Arena Manager, the Township Council and the OPP for the manner they carried this out. It does nothing but reflect badly on all concerned and Our Community .

Michael

Return to Abuse of Police Powers